Moin-Moin is a pudding that is typically served in the south-western part of Nigeria. There have been different variations on the recipe of Moin-moin but the very constant ingredient in this pudding-like dish is black-eyed peas. To replace the soaking process, I have seen the powdered version of the blended black-eyed peas. This eliminates the process and helps you serve the dish in a few hours. There have been some creative servings of Moin-Moin like Lohi’s creation’s version and 9ja Foodie’s version.
Here is the Afrolems version
*2cups of Beans
* 4 pieces of tomato
*2 pieces of pepper
* 1 tablespoon dry crayfish
* 1 boiled egg (optional)
*8 pieces of shrimp (optional)
* 1 cooking spoon of Palm Oil
* 2 maggi cubes
* 1 teaspoon Salt
* Foil paper
- Wash and Soak the beans in a large container for 4 hours or overnight
- Grease the empty cans or foil if that is what you choose to use
- If using empty cans, make sure their interior is clean, and lightly greased.
- If using foil
- Tear off about 1 foot of the foil.
- Fold the foil in half.
- One of the edges is closed and fine. For two of the other edges, roll them a few times over to make sure they will take the weight of the mixture.
- When you are done, the foil will look like rectangles with only one edge open.
- Rub the beans between your hands to peel the skin off as though you are scrubbing it. Keep doing this until you have most of the skin off the beans.
- Grind the beans into a smooth, finely-ground, mostly-liquid paste.
- Add blended tomatoes, pepper, palm oil ,salt and Maggi. If you have the extra items you can add this now example ;boiled eggs and shrimp .
- Place into either the foil or the cans.
- If using cans, simply pour some of the batter into the cans, making sure you leave enough room for the cooking moin moin to rise.
- If using foil, pour some of the batter into the foil, and then close up the last edge of the foil (once again, by rolling it securely).
- Place some water in a large pot.
- Place the cans or the foil into them.
- Boil the moin moin until solid on low heat so the steam cooks it properly. This usually takes 1 hour 30 minutes
- Remove them from the cans or the foil before serving.